Why Give Significantly?
- These gifts reflect the true meaning of Christmas and are viable alternatives to the traditional consumerism of the Christmas season.
- They are thoughtfully selected to offer variety and to encourage connection to our own city and around the world.
- Each gift is connected to a First Pres partner, offering hope and help to the people, leaders and organizations that we are personally connected with throughout the year.
- These gifts can be catalysts for gospel conversations as you share why you choose to give significantly.
Ideas for Using this Catalog
- Send your family the link to the online catalog and suggest a gift you would like to receive.
- Invite your children or grandchildren to know more about Jesus’ generosity and the importance of Christmas by helping them select gifts for themselves, friends, teachers, relatives, etc.
- Honor those who say “I don’t need anything” for Christmas by giving them a gift that benefits someone else.
- Consider the catalog as an option for year-end giving that is tax deductible.
Children, Youth and Family
- One School Day for a Special Needs Child | Egypt
- Our friend Rebecca runs a school for special needs children in the garbage dump area of Cairo.
- Older students learn skills for living and how to earn a wage.
- All of the children receive a hot meal, which helps them and their family too.
$1 for a day of school, including lunch
- Christmas Backpack for Children | Egypt
- At Christmastime The Bible Society of Egypt reaches out to children in areas where there is no church.
- Last year they gave 20,000 children a bag filled with a coloring book, puzzle, and book mark.
- This year their goal is 50,000! Your gift provides a bag and also the love of Christ.
$ 10 for a filled Christmas backpack
- Young Life Capernaum Club | Mongolia
- Young people with intellectual and developmental disabilities experience fun, adventure and develop fulfilling friendships.
- Young Life staff and volunteers model Christ’s love and acceptance as they walk alongside their Capernaum friends.
- Your gift will help provide regular club gatherings for young people, as well as support and a chance for interaction for their parents.
$5 supports a teen attending club
$50 supports the entire club meeting
- Christmas Gifts to Families of Deployed Peacekeeping Troops | Mongolia
- The Mongolian military does not have a family support program.
- Our partners at Campus Crusade for Christ reach out to these families with a small gift and a large amount of Jesus’ love!
- This gift provides an opportunity to tell the Christmas story while offering encouragement and joy!
$10 for a Christmas gift
- Student Ministry Scholarships | Colorado Springs
- First Pres 5th-12th grade students have the amazing opportunity to go to winter and/or summer Camp.
- These camps provide the students with gifted speakers, worship and fellowship with life-changing effects.
- By helping send a student to camp, you are giving them a growth opportunity that can lead to a faith-filled life.
$25 towards camp scholarships
6. Ear Buds and a Snack for Homeless Teens | Colorado Springs
- Urban Peak provides youth experiencing homelessness a supportive and safe place.
- Music therapy helps youth gain self-understanding and coping mechanisms to aid in healing.
- Music and a gift card for coffee or lunch will provide a safe outlet for working through daily trauma.
$25 provides ear buds and a minimal gift card for a teen overcoming challenges
7. Family Promise/Interfaith Hospitality Network | Colorado Springs
- The mission of Family Promise’s Interfaith Hospitality Network is to end family homelessness one family at a time.
- First Pres hosts Family Promise families overnight four times a year, helps these families move into their own place, and assists other families to get much needed help.
- Help a family move out of homelessness into their own place by providing the first month’s rent or deposit through case management at IHN.
$50 as a share in housing to move out of homelessness
8. Dale House | Colorado Springs
- Dale house provides a sense of family love, support and nderstanding within the context of structure and discipline for troubled teens.
- Families take trips together to explore, fellowship and take a break from their everyday routine, and the Dale House family is no exception!
- Your gift will help a teen go on a Christmas vacation with their Dale House Family to California.
$50 to help a teen go on a California Christmas vacation
Hunger, Thirst and Justice
9. Sandwich Fellowship | Cuba
- Our partner church, First Pres Havana, provides sandwiches after worship each Sunday.
- For many, the sandwich is their primary meal for the day.
- They need assistance to provide the care and fellowship of this program.
$3 for a sandwich, $30 for 10 sandwiches
10. Clean Water | Global
- 844 million people worldwide (1 in 9) lack basic drinking-water service.
- Globally, women and children spend 200 million hours every daycollecting water.
- June 10-16, 2018, a First Pres team will drill a new well and teach hygiene in El Salvador.
- Your gift will go with our team!
$20 for clean water in Jesus’ name
11. Work Essentials for Refugees | Colorado Springs
- Refugees have very few material belongings.
- Finding work is critical for their family health and stability.
- Being ready to work requires appropriate clothing, uniforms, shoes, etc.
- This very practical gift will provide a gift card to purchase work-related essentials.
$35 provides essentials to be prepared for work
12. Meal for Family Trainings/Family Life Services | Colorado Springs
- Family Life Services provides a place for single moms and their children to experience life transformation.
- Monthly, they hold life-skills training for mothers in their programs.
- Providing nutritious meals at those meetings allows the moms to learn about healthy, quick meals for their families, and assures that everyone has a full tummy!
$20 as a share for a meal
13. Food, Backpacks and Hygiene Items/ESM | Colorado Springs
- Ecumenical Social Ministries (ESM) serves more than 36,000 individuals with emergency food every year.
- More than 20,000 people come to their doors needing personal care, medical assistance, toiletries, etc.
- Your gift can purchase either three street food bags, buy four backpacks for carrying supplies or provide one homeless woman with hygiene items.
$20 for 3 food bags, 4 backpacks, or 1 hygiene kit
14. International Justice Mission Against Slavery | Global
- Support Christians who are working to end human trafficking.
- Help free the victims of sex trafficking, human slavery, and other violent crimes of oppression.
$50 for one day of investigation into human trafficking
15. Miracle of Birth | Guatemala
- Doctors Axel and Lordis Suquen run a health clinic in Patzun, Guatemala, that offers dentistry, medical assistance and a pharmacy open to the community.
- The pharmacy has made it easy for expectant mothers to purchase a birthing kit. Women in this area must bring all of the tools necessary to the hospital for their own delivery.
- The kit contains necessary medications as well as all other materials needed for a safe delivery.
- Asociacion Vida provides these kits at an affordable cost, enabling even the poorest women to receive appropriate and safe care as they experience the miracle of birth.
$20 for a delivery kit for an expectant mother in Guatemala
16. Basic Needs for Syrian Refugees | Egypt
- Our partner church in Cairo is reaching out to Syrian Refugees around their city.
- Many of the refugees around Cairo are Christians who fled ISIS, but are now living in majority Muslim slums.
- Your gift will provide basic help with food, clothing and shelter as well as spiritual encouragement and care by brothers and sisters who also follow Jesus.
$50 for basic care to a family
17. Bus Pass for Refugee Families | Colorado Springs
- Refugees in Colorado Springs are settled by Lutheran Family Services.
- First Pres partners with Lutheran Family Services to provide English classes.
- Extend a tangible expression of Christ’s love to legal refugees.
- Enable these new neighbors to access English classes, jobs, school, appointments, etc.
$16 for a one-week bus pass, $63 for a one-month bus pass
18. Children’s Hostel | Kalimpong, India
- Our partner church in Kalimpong supports about 70 children living in a hostel.
- The children are from tribal areas where there is no school or from families who cannot afford to support and educate them.
- This gift will provide safety, care, clothes and education, as well as minister to their spiritual, emotional and social well-being.
$25 for a share, or $100 for a month for one child
19. Support to Elderly/Cuba
- About 18 percent of the population in Cuba is over age 60.
- Many young people leave the island for better careers and higher salaries, leaving many senior adults with no family to care for them.
- This gift will provide clothing, medicine and spiritual encouragement to these older adults.
$25 for senior care in Cuba
20. Shoes for Children/Family Mentor Alliance | Colorado Springs
- The Family Mentor Alliance provides teams from churches to walk alongside families moving out of homelessness.
- All of these families experience some amount of financial stress, so new shoes are usually out of the question.
- Instead, children often have footwear that is too small, too big, handed down or just plain falling apart.
- Your gift of new shoes will provide comfort, care and dignity!
$25 for a new pair of shoes
21. Passion City Church | Colorado Springs
- Passion City Church reaches out to their neighbors in the southeast part of our city every month with an event such as park and apartment clean-up, barbecues and neighborhood parties.
- For holidays, they provide healthy food and gift cards to those in need.
- Congregants also pray with and for neighbors.
$25 for a gift card for those in need
Training and Income Generation
22. Water Bottles for Treatment System | Guatemala
- In order to meet the need for clean water, Galilea Evangelical Church created the first water purification system in their town of San Pablo.
- Their prayer is to provide two five-gallon bottles to at least 500 families so that they can continue to purchase purified water.
- This system will generate income through the sale of bottles, water and providing jobs.
- Eventually a distribution network will be created to allow families to resell water bottles in their local neighborhood.
$3 for one five-gallon bottle, $6 for two five-gallon bottles
23. Christmas Chicks | Egypt
- Families experiencing material poverty can receive a loan to buy chicks.
- Families can generate income by breeding and raising chickens or by selling eggs.
- This gift keeps giving to the families and to other people in their village.
$2 for a chick
24. Rehabilitative Care/Job Training | Colorado Springs
- Springs Rescue Mission helps move men from the grip of addiction to new opportunities and hope.
- “Get a job” is not often as easy as it sounds.
- Providing training helps make employability a reality for men re-entering the work force.
- Getting off the streets and into a new career requires consistent support and help.
$15 for 12 hours of job training or one hour of career coaching
25. Theological Training for a Christian Leader | Mongolia
- The growing church in Mongolia desperately needs trained leaders!
- Enable a young first-generation Christian to obey God’s call to ministry.
- Assure a firm foundation for the continued growth of the Church in Mongolia.
$25 a share toward seminary tuition
- Any undesignated donation will be stewarded by our Mission Engagement Teams.
You'll receive notice when your order is ready to pick up at First Pres.
Questions? Contact City and Global Engagement at 884-6233.